Thursday, December 3, 2009

Bay of Pigs, Anyone?

Ok, so maybe this isn’t exactly like the Bay of Pigs fiasco in 1961, but didn’t we just let the terrorists know our endgame? Last night, on national television, Barack Obama announced that we will be sending 30,000 troops to Afghanistan and will be starting a withdrawal in 18 months.

For those of you unfamiliar with it, the Bay of Pigs was a failed attempt to liberate Cuba during John F. Kennedy’s term as President of the United States. The CIA trained some Cuban exiles and was going to help them invade Cuba and overthrow the regime of Fidel Castro. Due to numerous intelligence leaks, the Cuban’s knew that the attack was going to take place. When the exiles tried to invade Cuba, they were slaughtered. Some estimates place the number of exiles captured at 1,100. While not an incredibly large number, only 1,500 took part in the invasion.

What does that have to do with our strategy in Afghanistan? Put simply, President Obama just told the terrorists how long they have to wait. No country should ever go into a war with a set date for a pull out. Nobody enjoys war, but if there is one thing that must be done right, no matter what the cost, it is ensuring the freedoms and safety of this great nation.

Only time will tell his decision to announce an end date will work. All we can do now is hope that the Afghani’s will take responsibility for their country. I hope the decisions he has made are the correct ones, because if we fail at this, we will never recover.

Before I finish, I would like to discuss one more thing. I am a Republican to the core. Anyone who knows me. knows this. However, there are some things that Republicans are doing that are really pissing me off. I listen to a lot of talk radio, due to the hour long drive to and from work. I hear non-stop these Republicans, bashing on Obama, for things that they WANTED HIM TO DO. The biggest one I have noticed is his decision to send 30,000 troops to Afghanistan. When General McChrystal wanted 40,000 troops, every Republican stood up and said Obama needed to listen to his Generals on the ground. Now that he has made the decision to send them, the Republicans are still finding fault with it. Don’t get me wrong, I think this decision could have been made much sooner, however, I still think it was the correct decision, and I am willing to admit it.

For any liberals out there reading this, don’t be thinking I’m going soft. We(the Republicans) are still much cooler then you, and we would totally destroy you at Dodgeball, any day of the week.

I think it is important if we all take a dose of humble pie every once in a while. Granted President Obama has done a lot of things I disapprove of, at least he has done one that I agree with. And being a man, I can admit that.

-Bunny

No comments:

Post a Comment